Friday, September 22, 2006

To bring or not to bring

My laptop. It's not as slim as some most-recent models but it's a good 14" widescreen of relative compactness. I was thinking of blogging on the road, but I don't know how much I'd use it. Plus, being in NZ is going to require an adapter (easily acquired), but that shouldn't be a problem. The problem is just unreasonable bulk.

This idea is slightly worse than the mp3 vs. CD player one. Oyi.

There are internet kiosks in some of the airports I will be transiting through, but what about on the plane? What if an idea comes up while I'm sitting in the cabin getting restless? What if something really cool (or bizarre) arises while I'm on my laptop and I want to jot it down on Notebook? Whatever happened to the good, old, real notebook? (You know, the one with paper.)

Once again, blogging has helped me put it into perspective. Some of the nice and seemingly convenient devices in life can sometimes turn out to be unreasonable for the budget-wise. I should consider moments of ennui as opporunities to doodle as well or maybe work on my hemp knotting and origami techniques. There are heaps of things to do away from a computer and heaven knows - heck, I know - I need a big break from it and I should take this 3-week retreat/visit as the perfect opportunity.

I might need heaps of paper though...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So bring a lot of paper :)

tasik said...

Paper notebooks are wonderful. They are portable (significantly less than a pound), durable (legible even with coffee spilled on them), and exceedingly inexpensive (less than three dollars). They are also nice to read (no LCD glare), and writing with a nice gel pen or fountain pen is a peaceful exercise akin to painting (unlike pecking at a keyboard).

(As you can tell, I have stubbornly refused to jump on the laptop/iPod bandwagon as well)

I wish you well on your journey, and hope you can find a cheap ticket.