Wednesday, October 11, 2006

(tentative) NZ travel itinerary

I need more interesting titles. Watch, later on, I'll be in the middle of my journey with the light-bulb effect and change it.

Made more plans. It's quite exciting to discuss a roadtrip with friends, especially during holidays and when your destination is a Catholic retreat. But let's not get carried away yet- premature joy in moderation.

We've considered flying to Christchurch from Hamilton but the costs with Air NZ is at least $100 more than driving. Although I could do more research into better fares with other airlines, I prefer hitting the road; it's more of an adventure, in that rough sort of way. Plus, we'll have a chance to budget on the go and hopefully save ourselves some money.

We'll originate from the Hamilton area then take a ferry across the Cook Strait from Wellington to Picton. A stop at a youth hostel before or right after landing might be possible- rest before the retreat was said to be most wise. From Picton we'll then head straight to Christchurch, hopefully not too late for registration.

Coming back should be less of a rush. With no time crunch to beat, we might mosey our way back up to the North Island, and being tourists of the South Island, soak up some Southern Hemisphere summer sun provided the weather allows such. I have no idea what we'll do exactly (yet) but that's the beauty of real touring. We'll somewhat retrace our steps and enjoy the views.

The cost of driving, we've estimated, is nearly as much as more than the Hearts Aflame rego fee. Luckily, with three people travelling together, expenses will be split in thirds. The following is a break-down of one's share of travel expenses in NZ$:

195 - Ferry
100 - Petrol
110 - Hostel
60 - Food, misc. funds
====
$465 ~ US$

No comments: