Recent shopping excursion, update
I cringed at the $57 reciept; I know, silly of me, but I did get some good stuff and things I needed.
Bought myself a cool, hard-back, hemp string-bound journal and more ink gel pens (^_^). Believe it or not, it took me 15 minutes to decide which journal to get as there were a few others that caught my eye. I finally settled on a hand-sized one with a replica of Chinese scroll art called "Listening to the Bamboo," by Wen Cheng-ming (you're wondering how I knew that; it conveniently said so on the back cover page). I liked the Chinese concept of "virtues" of the bamboo: "resilience, humility, and uprightness; a spirit that can be bent by circumstance but never broken". So it was this one over a hand-sized, scarlet imitation leather bound one with a magnetic clip or a standard-sized one with a replication of medevial art conveying the four Gospels. I decided on something more simple-looking but I was still really attracted to the others. I should think this will be put to good use.
Oh, and I'm reading Gulliver's Travels again. It's probably that cosmopolitan spirit influencing me to pick up such a book, but it's nice to have another read through something you read when you were younger. However, it's this time round that I finally picked up on some of the insanely strange things Swift wrote about...of which I won't go into detail.
I never told anyone this, but I finally fixed my favourite rosary with hemp string. A good thing to have on a 24+ hour trip.
Update: Still haven't heard back from those off-base agents. Maybe they're still finding some deals for me, I'm hoping in good faith. I was told to still check out the American travel agent on base (one that I had a relatively negative experience with), but I fortunately know someone who is good friends with someone that works there who might be compassionate towards this poor working student and not make me feel like a total idiot. Going to check them out tomorrow.
Also, I asked Dad about my going to NZ, and he conveyed the following message without clearly saying "yes": he wasn't going to object but as long as I'm footing the bill 100%, he is inclining toward the okay zone. Cue sigh of knowing that that's how my father is.
No comments:
Post a Comment